Psychotherapy is a therapeutic relationship. It tends to be longer-term and every week, especially in the beginning. It can last anywhere from a few months to several years, depending on what you’re looking for.
Our lives are a collection of stories. How we narrate our own lives, our words reflect meaning. This is particularly salient for adoptees and parents who often don’t have access to basic facts of their lives.
- limit-setting, expectations and accountability
- sibling rivalry / power struggles
- transitioning into adulthood
- country of origin, search and/or reunion
- cultural/race/adoption/self-esteem issues
Useful for adult adoptees working on issues including:
- Navigating important life transitions
- Navigating close relationships
- Navigating search and/or reunion
- Navigating issues of racial identity
I listen for themes, patterns and aspects of life that are moving forward and which aren’t.